I Dreamt That I Forgot My Name
Because I Sold My Soul.
Full moons are of the utmost importance to Wiccans, so blue moons are absolutely crucial for observance. I wrote this meditation for the peak of the blue moon tonight, and I chose to make this dish because the mango slices remind me of crescent moons. This is also works as a meditation for Selene/Luna, as if she is reciting it to Endymion.
A Meditation for the Moon.
The milky path takes me down to the creek.
I watch her gaze at her reflection, deeply.
So deep, she may have fallen in, and is fixated on her shadow above.
Maybe tonight she has fallen.
My hand blurs in the water, melting into her.
The mirror in the water tells me I am the moon.
I will come to you draped in darkness.
I will shine on you in your darkest hour.
The still moments that last forever.
I’m So Lonely
And I Wish I Was The Moon Tonight.
Candied Mango (Dulce de Mango)
Traditionally this is served chilled on top of queso blanco, queso manchego, or cream cheese; or, hot on top of vanilla or coconut ice cream.
Mango: 1 large ripe, peeled
Baking soda 1 tbsp
Brown sugar 3/4 cup
Ground cinnamon 1 tsp
Ground ginger 1/4 tsp
Ground cloves 1/4 tsp
Vanilla extract 1 tbsp
- Slice the mango into strips that are about 1 1/2 inches wide and about 4 inches long. If serving with cheese, cut the cheese into equal sized slices and approximately equal thickness. If serving with cream cheese, you can cut the cream cheese into equal size slices, or you can just place more than one slice on a standard 8 ounce cream cheese brick (like I did in the photo below).
- In a bowl, mix baking powder and 1 1/3 cups of water. Place the mango slices inside and refrigerate for 2 hours. Supposedly this keeps the outside of the mango crunchier than the inside after cooking.
- After the 2 hours, drain and rinse the mango slices well, under cold water.
- In a pot, pour 1 1/2 cups of water and add the ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Cook on medium heat, covered, until the sugar dissolves (about 10 minutes). After the 10 or so minutes, add the mango slices and cook, covered, for another 10 minutes.
- When cooked, remove the pot from its rack, otherwise it will continue to cook longer than it ordinarily would. Serve once the syrup is cool enough to eat (if you’re serving it on ice cream, put it on the ice cream right away to cool faster), or serve after the syrup has chilled (customarily it is chilled overnight).