Due to the blue moon at the end of the month, there will be two posts on the last week of the month and none next week.
I have a cold so it’s just the recipe today. Enjoy!
Mango Rum Sponge Cake (Bizcocho de Ron y Mango)
Mangoes: 2 medium ripe, peeled, and pitted
Cake flour 1 cup (or substitute with 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour plus 2 tbsp cornstarch)
Buttermilk 1/3 cup (or substitute with 1/4 cup milk plus 1 tsp lemon juice)
Lemon zest 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Puree the mangoes and the lemon zest in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the puree into a bowl and add the buttermilk. Sift the cake flour (or sift the all-purpose flour and cornstarch) then add it too the mango batter, completely incorporating it. Taste and add sugar if desired, keeping in mind that there will be syrup.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl. Slowly add the eggs to the mango batter, completely incorporating them.
- Grease a baking pan.
- Pour the batter in the pan and bake for 1/2 hour. Do not fully cook the cake. After 1/2 hour, remove the cake from the oven to cool faster, and let sit for 30 minutes.
- After the cake has cooled for 30 minutes, prick holes on the top of the cake with a fork. Try not to poke into the bottom of the cake.
- Pour 1/2 inch layer of rum syrup on top of the cake. Let sit for 2 hours so that the cake absorbs some of the syrup.
- After 2 hours have passed, pour the remainder of the syrup on top of the cake, and bake until fully cooked, about another 1/2 hour.
- After the cake is baked, remove from oven and let sit for 30 minutes.